Circle Track

What tires should I run?

Item Posts    Sort Order

What tires should I run?

Josh Farmer Josh Farmer
I watched NASCAR once | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/14
Posted: 06/16/14
06:24 PM

I'm running a nissan sentra se-r fwd so I'm looking for a soft compound tire but wanna see if I can get away with my American racers or Hoosiers. I run 175/65r14 with a 185/70r14 on right front and can not go much bigger. On a dry track my tires I have now are great but as soon as they wet it down I am a dog with pushing bad in corners. What tire does everyone suggest?  

wayne712222 wayne712222
I’ve been to a few races | Posts: 25 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 06/17/14
05:56 PM

just curious...

i wonder if there is a way to use strut cushions stacked up to limit the downward motion of the right front.. like the  KYB/Strut Bumper & Bellow Part Number: SB101
or Duralast/Strut Bumper & Bellow Part Number: 143057
to stop the right front from compressing so far when diving into the corners   use  a razor blade carefully to shorten the stacks if they end up being too tall once installed and track tested..

as for tires.. hmm.. i wonder about all the tires used up by drifting.. if anybody is still in the tire recapping business.. those are probably all bigger wheel sizes than your 14" ..

perhaps there will be some answers coming.. i personally don't deal a LOT with tires.. you might click my user name.. cross post this over at automotive dot com forums where i usually hang out.. there is at least one tire expert who drops thru a few times a week to look for tire questions.. he might have an answer.  

pushing in the wet.. is kinda the MUD not allowing you traction..  now.. a bag of hydraulic cement or two.. dusted out on the track..   NAH. it would probably harden and leave the ruts forever..  it might take a D-11 cat to plow the track surface.  makes ya wish that race tires were not so expensive. if you had tires with block treads.. and you had driven them on pavement with the TOE IN way far out of adjustment..  just for a few miles. might wear the blocks at angles so you could install the worn left front on the right rear.  the angled tread blocks might really help dig into the mud going around the corners..

i want to turn left guys..  i wish i was closer to tracks.. the only racing around here in los angeles is high speed pursuits. and one car is always out in front. at least until they get penalized with some spike strips.. or have the pit maneuver performed on them that many of you have experienced on the last lap or two of the race when you were in the lead.. sometimes here in los angeles there are more camera angles on high speed pursuits than at daytona.. i have seen them go past with 2 police choppers doing high angle orbits that look like they are going to rip the main rotors right off..  and the TV news ships.. a few times i have seen over a dozen up there..  a few years back.. there was a stolen 7/UP delivery truck in a long chase..spilling soda out as it went around corners.. can you imagine the board of directors at coke and pepsi.. say.. whats this.. 2 and a half hours of 7/up on every channel in so cal.. its such a sport to some that the 7/up truck bandit actually had 7/up shaved into the hair on the back of his head.. so it was visible as he left court.. pursuits add 5 years state prison to any sentence you get..   it really pays to run a small window during the morning or evening hours of ktla dot com.. or myfoxla dot com.. as both stream their news from like 4 am till 10 am.. every morning.