Circle Track

transmission shifting

Item Posts    Sort Order

transmission shifting

dbeason62 dbeason62
I watched NASCAR once | Posts: 4 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 10/13/13
09:54 AM

I have a 04 chevy echotec the problem is it shifts into the next highiest gear before I get in the turn, how can I trick the computer to not shift the tranny, thanks  

wayne712222 wayne712222
I’ve been to a few races | Posts: 25 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 10/14/13
09:29 AM

does it have a manual gear shifter?? where you cold pull it back to drive or 2nd gear...

the Upshift when you let off the throttle is designed into the software...

and that's going to be hard to override..

there is ONE possible solution..

which gear would you like it in coming into that corner???

and i don't know if this will work..

i will have to spend a bunch of time looking at the transmission section of the manual...

but you might be able to install a relay in the circuit between the proper shift solenoid and the ECM...

so you can manually interupt the signal...

this could give you the ability to push a button on the steering wheel and force a downshift...

would it cause the computer to freak out and shut down leaving you in second gear??? perhaps..

i had a friend do nuts and install a isuzu 3.9 turbo diesel and the electromatic transmission in his 79 seville..  i did not do it.. i only made it shift by creating a shift command box with relays and push buttons to control it..

you can probably stop the torque converter clutch from engaging by modifying the stop light switch wiring..   one pair of wires disables the torque converter clutch when you step on the brake..

back in the 90s when computer shifted transmissions first came out.. this upshift after a quick turn was reported by caddy owners as a complaint.. darn transmission would upshift to 4th gear and lock the TCC clutch as you turned the corner and were attempting to merge into traffic..

there was a big meeting of the hydromatic staff and this was brought up..   nobody could figure out how to fix it... one engineer might have been from a different department said.. why don't you use the steering position sensor and the lateral acceleration sensor to hold the shift back...

they seem to have said.. were will we get that data from..  that engineer went home and wrote a program over the weekend.. and cured the issue..

pick up the factory service manual and stick your nose deep into the transmission section.. you will also have to look deep into the wiring diagrams in section 8W..  figure out what signals are there..  and what you want to override... and how to protect or duplicate the load on the circuit so the computer does not notice..

there are stand alone shift computers for some model transmissions..  that allow you to design your own shift points..  now if they could just interface that with some high speed GPS.. so you could program each corner individually..  

dbeason62 dbeason62
I watched NASCAR once | Posts: 4 | Joined: 10/13
05:04 PM

I want to personally thank you a lot, you have got me pointed in the rite direction  

wayne712222 wayne712222
I’ve been to a few races | Posts: 25 | Joined: 10/13
06:18 PM

no.... turn LEFT...

you only need to turn right on road courses..

glad to have helped..

i knew  there was a reason i hang out in the forums..