Circle Track

Late model racing where to start?!

Item Posts    Sort Order

Late model racing where to start?!

kripple428 kripple428
I watched NASCAR once | Posts: 2 | Joined: 07/13
Posted: 07/29/13
06:23 PM

Well let me give you a little background I was kinda born into/around racing my grandpa and my dad both raced motocross and my mom has a few car racers on her side of the family including Joe Buford the winningest driver at the fairgrounds in Nashville. But at any rate I ended following more in my dads footsteps and racing mx so here we are 15 years of motocross and later and needless to say my body is a little more than broken lol but I still have the itch to race. Ill be in college for 9 more months but have decided when I get done I would like to try racing late models there's just one problem I have no clue where to start . Finding a track is no problem we have the fairgrounds,highland rim,riverview and a few other tracks in the area. What I need is a list of EVERYTHING I need to do my first race now keep in mind ill be starting out with the bare minimum because I'm just testing the water to see if I like it so I don't want to go 20k in the hole. But what are the things I absolutely have to have in order to start racing?  

kripple428 kripple428
I watched NASCAR once | Posts: 2 | Joined: 07/13
Posted: 07/29/13
08:43 PM

Well I can see this forum is just full of talkative and helpful people 60+ views and not 1 reply...  

waynep712222 waynep712222
I’ve been to a few races | Posts: 56 | Joined: 04/13
Posted: 07/30/13
02:34 AM

some of those views are webbots.. scanning your question...

some are other readers...

i don't have an exact answer for you either.. but since you have tracks nearby.. time to start visiting the pit areas.. examining what the racers use...

you might also start with the local rule books... and study them.. so you don't end up with something that is not allowed...

i am taking you already have a tow rig...  a trailer big enough for a late model racer and room for tires.. tools.. spare parts..

although spare parts are at a minimum with new racers..

with todays economy.. you might be able to get some deals around.. but again.. inspection and a rule book in the hand or embedded in the brain to know what is and is not legal..

do you still have equipment from the motocross days??

additional equipment.  fire suit.. helmet.. hans restraint.. socks, shoes, gloves,   these are different than motorcross racing..  

there are several articles in this magazine and over in stockcarracing dot com that is also on this site in the tech second and archives on kinda what you are looking for..

if you come back.. i might have some time to search them out..  but it would be just as good for you to search thru them.. book mark a bunch and come back to read them..