Circle Track

How True Is This?

Item Posts    Sort Order

How True Is This?

TopSpeedMods TopSpeedMods
I’ve been to a few races | Posts: 71 | Joined: 08/12
Posted: 07/10/13
05:25 PM

Here's something I heard today and just wanted to know if any of you have heard this: Oval track racers and drag racers like a track that is surrounded by fields of corn because at night the corn gives off oxygen and with the cooler temps and the oxygen from the corn the cars run better.  

waynep712222 waynep712222
I’ve been to a few races | Posts: 56 | Joined: 04/13
Posted: 07/11/13
12:14 AM

thats CORNY.. but you never know.. it might be slightly true..

a trick... use the corn leaves you have peeled off..

how about discussing EGR flow and its effect on fuel injection air fuel ratios..

what...  oxygen is about 21% of the atmosphere...

in exhaust its about 14%...

when people disconnect their EGR system in fuel injected cars and trucks...

in closed loop.. where the air fuel ratio is controlled by the exhaust gasses going past the oxygen sensor in a feedback closed loop..  this is at part throttle..  or cruise speeds..

there is also OPEN LOOP.. this is when the ECM does not look at the oxygen sensor info.. it drops back to PREPROGRAMMED fuel control...

if the EGR is flowing the proper amount..  the  percentage of oxygen in the incoming air charge will be reduced so reduced amounts of fuel that are preprogrammed will be correct...

but if somebody has disconnected the EGR .. or its non functional..  and some are digital and you need to operate them to 90% open with a scan tool several times...    

without the egr flow diluting the oxygen percentage..  the air fuel ratio is now too LEAN..   you will have detonation that will destroy the pistons and head gaskets..  fuel economy will suffer..  as you have to mash down harder on the throttle to try to go..

the EGR with digital versions..  can open 45% during cruise..

if its working properly.. you won't get pinging... and you won't get such horrible fuel economy..  as the spark control system is not trying to retard the timing to get rid of the ping..

please don't ask most fuel injection guys about this.. talk to a factory engineer ..  this really is not described this way in most factory manuals or training books..  

OldManRacing OldManRacing
I watched NASCAR once | Posts: 3 | Joined: 07/13
Posted: 07/15/13
10:45 AM

some of it is true, but I think its because of the tracks are surrounded and coolness comes from between the stocks in shade. but I think a better way would be ajust the fuel and air mixture . using a broromiter. lol I know my spelling has a lot to be desired . but am sure you will get the ideal . but diff fuels at diff temps and diff agents in them cause quite a bit of changes  due to air . I think it was told to me by a friend that builds motors for sprints drag and funny cars said this .... more air you can put in the cld the faster , the heaver the air less you need , im sure I got that right .