Circle Track

HEI distributor issues

Item Posts    Sort Order

HEI distributor issues

racerdad52 racerdad52
I watched NASCAR once | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/13
Posted: 05/09/13
01:58 PM

Have a racing high output HEI distributor, finding a slight oil film inside the top. Anyone have any suggestions or a fix? Thanks  

waynep712222 waynep712222
I’ve been to a few races | Posts: 56 | Joined: 04/13
Posted: 05/11/13
09:02 PM

i think that you have a problem with your crankcase ventilation system...

you are building massive amounts of crankcase pressure and blowing out the super thin plastic film seal thats under the pick up coil and around the upper bushing...

do you have a conventional fuel pump vacuum gauge... that reads from 30 inches of vacuum to 15 pounds of pressure... since almost all engines still have a oil dipstick tube.. hook the gauge onto the dipstick tube  and operate the engine or take a short test drive...  you should not be building over 1 pound of pressure in the crank case. or more than 1 inch of vacuum .

Fuelpumpvacuumtester

let me go farther..

most street engines have a PCV valve in the valve cover ..  in the other cover is the crankcase breather... this can be vented thru a filter or routed to the air cleaner housing...

during idle and cruising conditions when intake manifold vacuum is high... the PCV valve can evacuate the vapors from the crankcase...   the breather flows filtered air into the crankcase to prevent vacuum from building and pulling in on the valve covers, timing cover.. oil pan...

during heavy engine loads or hard acceleration..  there is reduced manifold vacuum and more blowby than the PCV can handle.. this goes OUT the breather filter system and either to the atmosphere or into the air cleaner.

testing to see if you have the proper sized PCV valve... there are a LOT of different calibrations...

with the engine at operating temp... at IDLE...   pinch off the PCV hose or block the end of the PCV valve.. the engine should drop somewhere between 50 and 70 RPMs if the PCV is sized properly..

if your engine drops less than 50.. then its too small and will be ineffective...

if your engine drops more than 70 RPMs. then the pcv is too large and you will find oil consumption issues plague you ...  about 400 miles per quart usually if the PCV is too large..

now... if the transparent plastic film seal is blown out.. i don't know where you will get another except from the manufacturer... or perhaps a rebuilder..  or a used one..

item 21...

0900C15280083b25

i have dealt with similar issues for many years...

properly sized PCV valve and a filtered breather in the other valve cover can also keep your oil cleaner as you are pulling the fuel vapors out of the crankcase and burning them...  also the burned oil vapors..   if you have a street and performance carb... with a PCV Fitting from the manufacturer.. its designed to idle with the 50 to 70 rpms of PCV flow so you can adjust the primary throttle blades to just barely cover the end of the idle transition slots in the carb and get the carb to idle on just the idle mixture circuit.. not the MUCH richer idle transition circuit..  where it will foul the plugs and run horrible at idle..

would you like to chat more about idle and idle transition circuits.. it is also the way to MPG on race engines..  and smooth transition from idle without any flat spots...

somebody read one of my posts a few years ago here or talked to the carb metering plate manufacturer i talked to .. as he won a race on fuel economy.. by going 6 or 7 laps farther than anybody else,  the announcers saw it. noticed that this driver did not have flames out the exhaust during cornering.. . as did nascar.. so they fixed it.. went to fuel injection.