Circle Track

new to racing. looking for car advice

Item Posts    Sort Order

new to racing. looking for car advice

teamjici teamjici
I watched NASCAR once | Posts: 3 | Joined: 12/12
Posted: 12/02/12
07:21 AM

I am somewhat new to racing and have a 2010 port city roller set up for CRA JEGS ready for engine, transmission, drive shaft, shocks & msd box. I will be running local 3/8 track similar rules to CRA sportsman only in 2013. As with everybody, money is very tight but I am frugal  not cheap. I am looking for durability first. Can I get some thoughts on what racers that have been in my position before do?  

pepsi1 pepsi1
I’ve been to a few races | Posts: 72 | Joined: 09/11
Posted: 12/15/12
06:26 PM

teamjici

Boy if you want realiability it cost money. Racing cost money. I've been around racing since I was 7 years old. I'm now 65. It's still the guy with the deepest pockets will cheat and beat you up.
  I wouldn't know where to start with being Frugal on a Race Car or a Race engine. I started out with my Dad and his 1940 Indian motorcycle. He gave me the carburetor and said take it apart. With that said.
  I have a custom and High Performance machine shop. The tooling I had to purchase to just to deck the LS searies GM engines was $25,000. So what I'm saying you have to buy the best you can afford, or you will just be out there making laps.
  Thats probably not what you wanted to hear. I'm not going to sugar coat it. If you want to run up front you need Good equipment. I can't help you. Machine work DONE CORRECTLY is expensive. You get a balance job that's not right and you'll be chasing an engine vibration you can't find....

Try this web-site www.auto-ware.com They have data that may help you. Here is my theory. If you can't afford to build it once! How can you afford to build a second time.

This is only my advice. I'm sure there are people out there that will tell you the moon is really made of cheese. Then take your money. I'll tell you like it is expensive. Get a little sponsor. There are how to videos, and even a small town garage, somebody to put his name on your car....Good Luck...Merry Christmas

Bob

PS Sonny Leonard makes High Priced Drag Race Engines. He was talking with a trade magazine I get. He said the people buying his engines are spending anywhere from $40,000 to over $100,000. Thats the expensive spread....The guys that are buying them are guys that only know where the start button is. These guys go out week after week,towing their shinny race cars. Then take them out of their haulers put gas in them and go racing.Thats where it at today....RP  

teamjici teamjici
I watched NASCAR once | Posts: 3 | Joined: 12/12
Posted: 01/06/13
08:44 PM

thank you. great website