Circle Track

home made tire softeners?

Item Posts    Sort Order

home made tire softeners?

racerboy racerboy
I watched NASCAR once | Posts: 8 | Joined: 03/10
Posted: 04/16/10
09:42 AM

Does anyone know if it's possible to make home made tire softer? If it is, what's needed to do it, and can you post instructions? I'm only 17, and don't have a job, so I can't afford extras like tire softener when it's so much money. I enduro race, so I do need the tires to last for a while, but I'd like to make them softer. I know that there's stuff for sale that lasts 200 laps, but that's over $50. Anyone have any recipies? I heard WD40 softens tires, but I think that guy was just joking around.

Thanks! Grin  

AkSteve AkSteve
I watched NASCAR once | Posts: 6 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 05/07/10
01:17 AM

If you can get a gallon of 200 lap tire soak for $50 dollars, than you need to get a job, start selling stuff and stock up!

In order to make your own (and have it work worth a crap)the ingredients alone will cost more than that. many people use a mixture of xylene and tolulene and acetone, but the problem with these "home brews" is while softening your tire it will weaken them as well.

i know i wont go out on the track with weakened tires.
about the best stuff you can use is the "track claw" stuff. i cant remember what it cost off hand but it will actually strengthen your tires. be carefull when soaking though, it is illegal at most tracks and although all bottles say its undetectable, all you have to do to test a tire is put it in a sealed garbage bag over night. if the bag swells its soaked.

i dont know about wd-40 on your tires. for drag racing we used diesel fuel additive about 10 minutes before each run but that will only last for a single pass, as im sure any quick soaking method would.

i have tried soaking for circle track use and while the car was better the differance was marginal, its enough to get you ahead of the guy your door to door with but not enough to catch the guy who is consistently running away from you. instead of soaking your tires...especially if its illegal...i would focus on improving your setup to make the car faster because even after soaking a tight car will still be tight and a loose car will still be loose  

slm39 slm39
I watched NASCAR once | Posts: 2 | Joined: 08/10
Posted: 08/26/10
06:28 AM

2 parts diesel fuel
1 part ATF
1 part paint reducer ( medium )

tear up some flannel sheets to the same width as your tires.  when we were allowed to soak the tires we used the pull down cloth towels from service station washrooms etc, perfect width.  wrap the tires with the soaked towels, wrap as tight as you can with plastic wrap. with the car on jackstands put the wheels back on the car.  rotate the wheels a 1/4 turn a day for 4 days. unwrap and repeat rotating every few hours until you're ready to use them. the second step is very important.  this works every bit as good as any commercial softener without the $200 price tag. it is detectable so your sanction must permit tire treatments.  we used this method for years with great results and no negative effects. this will bring a 60 durometer reading into the low 40's.  

kinglouie05 kinglouie05
I watched NASCAR once | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/10
Posted: 09/01/10
05:38 AM

We used a simple and effective formula for years when treating tires for our dirt track car.  This was brought over from our carting days. 50/50 Tolulene and PB Blaster = yellow prep that is marketed under the name Goat Pee for carters. We dont put any type of treatment inside of the tire because we have observed others have bad results in the past. It is easier to control the desired softness if you go slow and monitor your results. We start by having our car on stands so we can check and document hardness using a durometer. Then roll on the solution with a paint roller.  After the tire dries check again with durometer. If you want to just put more bite in your tire you can use another 50/50 combination of WD40 and paint thinner.  Good Luck!  

Figure8 Figure8
I watched NASCAR once | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/12
Posted: 09/12/12
08:45 AM

Honestly i race figure 8 at the indianapolis speedrome and we had a guy break track record for the 3 hour last weekend old track record was a 16.5 he ran a 16.487 and he soaks his tires in goat piss  

pepsi1 pepsi1
I’ve been to a few races | Posts: 72 | Joined: 09/11
Posted: 09/13/12
07:49 PM

Back in the day brake fluid softened tires. But tires were more natural rubber then. So give it a try on an old tire. Do a test spot..  

pepsi1 pepsi1
I’ve been to a few races | Posts: 72 | Joined: 09/11
Posted: 09/16/12
11:50 AM

Beside the brake fluid we made a mix.

1/3 Acetone, 1/3 Mineral Spirits, 1/3Automatic trans mission fluid. Mix this in a well ventilated area. Put it on with a paint roller.

Let it sit alteast 30 minutes before you want to use it.This stuff works. Try it on an old tire first.