Circle Track

need a math formula for stagger

Item Posts    Sort Order

need a math formula for stagger

john30 john30
I watched NASCAR once | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/09
Posted: 01/13/09
11:24 AM

can anyone help me please tell me a formula for a 1/4 mile track .24 degres banking Confused  

millsracing millsracing
I watched NASCAR once | Posts: 4 | Joined: 01/09
Posted: 01/15/09
10:15 AM

What Kind of car are you running? If its a stock class I can tell you that on a high banked track less is more! I run a 3/8 of a mile with 18 degree banking, the car had over 5 inches in the back and 4 in the front, it didnt start turning good until I brought the stagger down to about 3 in the front and a little over 2 in the back!!

This is just my personal experience, im sure if anyone else chooses to reply they will tell you different!

there is also an article on this site that talks about setting up a hobby stock, if thats what you are running then that may help!  

millsracing millsracing
I watched NASCAR once | Posts: 4 | Joined: 01/09
Posted: 01/16/09
10:20 AM

I just did notice that you posted this in the asphalt forum! My advice is for dirt track, im sure asphalt will be a bit different!!  

ross181 ross181
I watched NASCAR once | Posts: 8 | Joined: 04/09
Posted: 04/04/09
01:13 AM

3" in the back is good, and the less you go in the front will loosen up the car. Start around 1" and go down  

ross181 ross181
I watched NASCAR once | Posts: 8 | Joined: 04/09
Posted: 04/04/09
01:16 AM

Icon Quoteross181:
3" in the back is good, and the less you go in the front will loosen up the car. Start around 1" and go down

3" in the back is good and the less you have in the front the looser the car will be.  Start at 1" and go down  

RLR-5124 RLR-5124
I watched NASCAR once | Posts: 24 | Joined: 01/09
Posted: 06/23/09
10:53 PM

depending what class you are running, I would start with the rightrear,rightfront,and leftfront all the same size or as close as you can get, use the left rear as your stagger tire. is your car open rear end or locked it makes a difference.  

genibrel genibrel
I watched NASCAR once | Posts: 6 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 06/27/09
05:41 PM

Dear John Blush

Yes there is a formula to actually calculate stagger. Basically stagger if the difference in tire size in percentage. So if the inside tire is say 100 inches in circumference and the outside is 105, the right is 5% bigger.
Now how to know how much percentage to start with? Simple; the tire stagger percentage difference is the same as the percentage difference from the radius of the turn formed by the outside wheel to the radius of the turn formed by the outside wheel.  Confused
This is for black top  

genibrel genibrel
I watched NASCAR once | Posts: 6 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 06/27/09
06:35 PM

DOOOHHH: Thanks for the heads up guys. The last sentence of my tire stagger formula post should have read:
Simple; the tire stagger percentage difference is the same as the percentage difference from the radius of the turn formed by the outside wheel to the radius of the turn formed by the inside wheel  

iceracer45 iceracer45
I watched NASCAR once | Posts: 6 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 07/18/09
09:04 PM

D+.5(TW)xCl
-------------
D-.5 (tw)
D IS TURN DIAMETER AND CL IS THE CIRCUMFRANCE OF THE LEFT REAR , complicated just go with what the car wants it will tell you in the midle of the turns if the car is tight or loose in the middle go up or down in split, i would have to say around two and a half to three to start
              iceracer45